Monday, June 25, 2007

What's new?

Well I've been in Germany for almost a day now.

So here are some observations...

I thought I was getting a break from Manhattan, so I come here and find out Frankfurt is known as the German "Manhattan". Wonderful.
I have never seen a major city with so much green. Grass, trees, big big parks, etc. It's great.
Evidently the city is boring so people leave the city for the weekend. France is only 2 hours away by train.
Vietnamese food is good here too.
Even though the guides I read said you should tip for a cab ride, when you do they act like you gave them a million bucks!
I wandered into a street fair that went on for at least 15 blocks. At fairs in America you can get all kinds of foreign foods. Not so here. German food, german food, german food as far as the eye can see. When walking around the city, except for the very occasional Vietnamese restaurant, the only foreign restaurants seem to be Italian (with a strange version of pizza) and Thai.
A lot of "restaurants" only serve at a window like at the boardwalk.
I didn't see even one SUV yesterday. Or a non-German car for that matter. And they are small cars. And they park on the sidewalk or partially on the sidewalk or whatever it takes.
Maybe I don't go to the right places in Manhattan but I have seen more people diversity here so far than in the last months in Manhattan.

More later... Time to get ready for work.

No comments: