Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Concert review

Remember the picture I posted of the Lincoln Center on Sunday? I was going to see a concert by Matt Dusk. He sings jazz/big band with a more contemporary feel. He was opening up for an Italian tenor so I thought I'd check him out as I'd never even been to the Lincoln Center.

Well it was a big huge mess. First no one could hear him at all. The older folk all started screaming bloody murder. They brought Matt no less than FIVE different microphones and we still couldn't hear him. Then they finally brought him one that worked but we could only hear him if the band wasn't playing. (I have had my hearing checked recently, it is fine!) More screaming by the old folk but Matt kind of gave up trying to get it fixed. So about 20 minutes into the concert I gave up too. If you liked just hearing the band you would have had a good time (I'm not exaggerating).

For those of you who don't know, the Lincoln Center is like DC's Kennedy Center just bigger. The theatre I was in was about 20 years overdue for a makeover and the acoustics (even for the band) were horrible! I was just amazed, my expectations had been so much higher.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a concert, now I know why I'd rather just listen to the music!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also at the event on Sunday and was completely disappointed. I did meet Matt Dusk out front (by chance) and he apologized for the mess. He was nice enough to give me front row tickets to the NJ show in Newark. I couldn’t believe it!!! We had such a fun time and It made up for the night before. Why not contact the venue or management and ask for a refund or something?

Jeff said...

Ah, so cool you got to meet Matt! I'm glad (and jealous) to hear the Newark show was much better.