Tuesday, July 3, 2007

My iPhone impressions

Well I had no intention to post an iPhone review as there are so many out there already but I had a request... So I'll give you my impressions.

It is smaller and lighter than you think it will be.
The screen is just fantastic, bright and clear.
Even when you get smudges on it (which come off fairly easily just with your shirt) the screen is clear.
The web browser is fairly slow (much faster when connected to WiFi) but faster than on the Blackberry Pearl. You can set up WiFi locations and if the iPhone finds you in one, it automatically switches to that location to speed things up for you.
Synching is very easily, just a few extra options over an iPod.
Using it as an iPod is wonderful. Using it at the gym, I only had one gripe... If I wanted to forward to another song on the Nano I could just reach down and push a button without even looking. Now I need to unlock it (slide a slider to the right) and then push forward. I haven't mastered doing that while it's on my hip yet.
The video quality is something to be seen. I'm working my way through the 2nd season of Lost (hi Deb!) and it's so easy to watch.
Although the camera is only 2 megapixels and has no flash, etc. it still takes great pictures under the right conditions (proper lighting).
I exported my Lotus Notes contacts to the Mac Address Book so they could sync. Now my caller ID shows who is calling along with their picture. Sweet!
Sending email is pretty easy, the addressing uses type-ahead to speed things up for you.
With my fat fingers I thought I would have difficulty typing. It's still not very fast but I know it will get faster with practice.
The device is fast. I haven't noticed a lag doing anything yet (except for web browsing, of course).
Google maps on the device is sweet. Maybe I just don't know how but it doesn't seem like you can save locations. Hopefully that is on it's way...
Even the calculator looks cool.
The Weather and Clock are sweet. On the Clock I can see the time for Los Angeles, Denver, New York and Berlin all on the same screen for easy comparison.
Using the web browser to get my lotus notes mail is FINALLY easy. I've never used a pda that could view the page without me inputting the url to go directly to the Inbox. Zooming on pages and clicking URLs is easy also. All my Safari bookmarks are there since they sync up also.
Unlike a lot of people, my activation process was very smooth and trouble-free.

So what don't I like about my iPhone?
I wish the glass didn't smudge but that's just the neat freak in me.
I wish you could map the external volume buttons to forward/reverse for iPod play.
The headset jack is recessed so most headphone jacks won't fit. No worries, Skip has some device he used to grind the plastic on the headphone jack down and all is good.
No games (without using the web browser)!
In many places when you rotate the iPhone the screen rotates with you between vertical and horizontal (wide-screen). I wish it did it everywhere (so I could have the wide keyboard when writing email for example).
8 gigs (7.2 gigs usable space)? Well I don't like it but I have a ton of music, all my photos, contacts, mail and bookmarks on it and still have 2 gigs free so I guess I can't complain too much.

Would I buy it again? Hell yes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I would care about anyone else's review. I want the real stuff from the master!! Blossom is sooooo cute. Thank you for posting a new photo of her. Did you take it with your iphone?

Ruth

Lisa and Andy said...

Neato.

It shows you have 2 there... I'll take the 2nd if no one else has dibs.

:)

Jeff said...

I didn't even think of that. I have ONE iPhone. One.

And yes, the picture of Blossom was taken with the iPhone. It's slightly cropped but otherwise undoctored.